Keep Your Home Healthy
Hey SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch readers! We get a lot of water damage calls here. We here at SERVPRO know that there can be a lot of questions that come along with discovering water damage in your home, especially when it comes to your health and potential health effects. Our friends over at SERVPRO Saginaw put together some great thoughts on the topic. Read on to gain insight on what hazards can occur as a result of water damage and why it’s best to let the professionals handle the clean up.
The obvious result of water damage is structural---whether severe or cosmetic. And unfortunately, structural damage can wind up costing you thousands of dollars in repairs. The result of water damage can also cause the growth of toxic mold and mildew. If left untreated, this mold proliferation can cause health effects. So let’s get to it.
Hazard #1: Mold Growth -
- According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), you should have your property dried and cleaned within 24-48 hours after the initial water onslaught. This practice will help decrease the likelihood of mold growth. Although you may be capable of starting the drying and cleaning processes, it is important to know that mold can grow in areas of the home that you can't see. Thus, simply cleaning and drying your carpet will not always be effective in preventing mold growth, especially if there is a large quantity of unwanted water. The mold can still grow in different areas of your home, including the carpet padding, underneath wallpaper, behind the drywall, along ceilings and baseboards, in voids and furniture.
- As noted by the EPA, there are several health effects that can result from exposure to mold. It is also important to note that the mold clean up process, performed by you, can lead to exposure to fungi. For this reason, professional water damage restoration technicians from SERVPRO will wear special protective gear and utilize state-of-the-art equipment for mold cleanup and the prevention of mold dispersion throughout your Saginaw home.
Hazard #2: Exposure to Sewage -
- Exposure to raw sewage is dangerous because it contains parasites, viruses, and bacteria such as E. coli. The sewage can also contain pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and pesticides. The EPA has stated that contaminated water can lead to the contraction of illnesses such as tuberculosis, dysentery, hepatitis, tetanus, and cholera. Safely stay away from the hazard of sewage water--blackwater--and let the experts execute the cleanup and dry out.
So… Let The Professionals at SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch Assist You!
- We are passionate about helping our customers make their water damage loss “Like it never even happened.” So no matter if it’s a leaky pipe underneath your bathroom sink or a busted water main that’s flooded your entire property, our team will get you taken care of so you can get back to a safe and HEALTHY state.
Call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are always here to help!