Commercial Earthquake Awareness
Hey SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch readers!
Living in SoCal an earthquake can happen at any time, so read on for a few quick tips on how to make sure your business is prepared. And remember, when disaster strikes, you can always call your local SERVPRO for timely assistance:
"An earthquake can happen anytime and anywhere. Unlike many other natural disasters, earthquakes can strike during any season. It can also occur with little to no warning at all.
Earthquakes can knock out heat, power, and communications services, sometimes for days at a time, leaving people stuck without utilities or other services. Your goal for protection is to learn to Drop, Cover, and Hold On during an earthquake.
Most casualties and injuries during an earthquake occur when: people fall while trying to walk or run during the shaking; when they are hit by falling, flying, or sliding items or non-structural debris; and/or when they are struck or trapped by collapsing walls or other parts of the building.
The America’s PrepareAthon! How to Prepare for an Earthquake explains what the public should do before, during and after an earthquake:
- To prevent potential injuries, take the time to secure your space. Secure items that might fall, fly, or slide in an earthquake. Imagine if the room was picked up and shaken up and down and side to side and then determine what items would be thrown around.
- Make sure your business is safer during earthquakes and more resistant to earthquake damage. Get professional help to assess the building’s structure and then take steps to install nonstructural solutions, including foundation bolting and cripple wall bracing.
The America’s PrepareAthon! Prepare Your Organization for an Earthquake Playbook explains how business owners can take the necessary steps now to prepare themselves and their staff for an earthquake.
The playbook helps to enhance organizational coordination and communication on preparedness and operational continuity by recommending the following:
- Hold a preparedness discussion to explain company plans and policies to motivate employees to be better prepared at home and work;
- Explain and practice Drop, Cover, and Hold On;
- Conduct a tabletop exercise with your staff to ensure that the organization is familiar with and knows how to implement readiness plans;
- Develop an employee communications plan with all staff contact information, including emergency points of contact;
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings in your community; and
- Organize and keep handy important documents such as insurance information and rental or mortgage agreements.
It is important that business owners discuss their plans with their employees to ensure they are aware of what to do and where to go during an earthquake threat."
We Are Open 24/7
When a storm hits, sometimes it takes you by surprise. You may not have the immediate chance to grab what you need or even have it on hand at all. That is why it is so important to have a Storm Supply Kit ready to go.
A Storm Supply Kit could be described as a pre-chosen group of supplies that could assist with health and safety during or after a storm or disaster.
It would be ideal to keep a Storm Supply Kit at home, work , and in your vehicle.
Here are some supplies to keep in your kit:
1. Medications needed
2. first aid kit with instructions
4. cash and important documents
5. food for several days
6. water for several days
7. clothing and shoes
8. pocket knife with tools attached
9. Sanitation wipes and hygiene products.
SERVPRO of Chatsworth / Stevenson Ranch is faster to any size disaster!
Restoring Your Commercial Building
Flooding and water damage events at Chatsworth commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Chatsworth
SERVPRO of Chatsworth specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet our Team: http://www.SERVPROchatsworth.com/crew-photos
Soot and Smoke
Many don’t know the effect smoke and soot actually have and to what extent. Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch has smoke damage expertise and experience which allows us to properly help you!
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Burbank will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (818) 842-1400
Keep Your Home Healthy
Hey SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch readers! We get a lot of water damage calls here. We here at SERVPRO know that there can be a lot of questions that come along with discovering water damage in your home, especially when it comes to your health and potential health effects. Our friends over at SERVPRO Saginaw put together some great thoughts on the topic. Read on to gain insight on what hazards can occur as a result of water damage and why it’s best to let the professionals handle the clean up.
The obvious result of water damage is structural---whether severe or cosmetic. And unfortunately, structural damage can wind up costing you thousands of dollars in repairs. The result of water damage can also cause the growth of toxic mold and mildew. If left untreated, this mold proliferation can cause health effects. So let’s get to it.
Hazard #1: Mold Growth -
- According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), you should have your property dried and cleaned within 24-48 hours after the initial water onslaught. This practice will help decrease the likelihood of mold growth. Although you may be capable of starting the drying and cleaning processes, it is important to know that mold can grow in areas of the home that you can't see. Thus, simply cleaning and drying your carpet will not always be effective in preventing mold growth, especially if there is a large quantity of unwanted water. The mold can still grow in different areas of your home, including the carpet padding, underneath wallpaper, behind the drywall, along ceilings and baseboards, in voids and furniture.
- As noted by the EPA, there are several health effects that can result from exposure to mold. It is also important to note that the mold clean up process, performed by you, can lead to exposure to fungi. For this reason, professional water damage restoration technicians from SERVPRO will wear special protective gear and utilize state-of-the-art equipment for mold cleanup and the prevention of mold dispersion throughout your Saginaw home.
Hazard #2: Exposure to Sewage -
- Exposure to raw sewage is dangerous because it contains parasites, viruses, and bacteria such as E. coli. The sewage can also contain pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and pesticides. The EPA has stated that contaminated water can lead to the contraction of illnesses such as tuberculosis, dysentery, hepatitis, tetanus, and cholera. Safely stay away from the hazard of sewage water--blackwater--and let the experts execute the cleanup and dry out.
So… Let The Professionals at SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch Assist You!
- We are passionate about helping our customers make their water damage loss “Like it never even happened.” So no matter if it’s a leaky pipe underneath your bathroom sink or a busted water main that’s flooded your entire property, our team will get you taken care of so you can get back to a safe and HEALTHY state.
Call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are always here to help!
What is an Air Mover?
Air movers are used in construction and water restoration projects, having a wide variety of industrial applications. They are primarily used to increase air circulation, which speeds up water evaporation and reduces drying time. Compressed air is also used to maximize airflow in a blower fan or air mover. Some other names for air movers are “industrial air blowers”, “commercial blower fans” or “floor drying fans”.
Air movers are an essential tool when mitigation services are needed due to water damage or restoring flood or disaster damage. Some advantages of drying a building with the use of air movers are as follows:
- High velocity, making them ideal for cooling and ventilation purposes
- Reduces water damage dry out time to carpets and floors, as well as wall cavities behind drywall
- Removing fumes or gases from a work space
TYPES OF AIR MOVER UNITS
The type of air blower affects the speed and direction of airflow and the amount of space that can be covered by the air mover. There are three major types of air blower units used in most commercial dry out scenarios:
- Axial: Axial blowers are designed to move large amounts of air across a wide space. These tend to be larger air movers that produce high airflow. Unlike centrifugal air movers, which can direct air in several directions, axial air movers only move air horizontally. They’re ideal for drying walls or top-down drying treatments on carpets. They’re sometimes used for ventilation and equipment cooling.
- Centrifugal: This type offers a more compact air mover designed for spot treatments. Centrifugal air movers draw air from several sources and direct it to a particular spot. They are often used in restoration work to dry hard to reach areas like under cabinets and in crawl spaces and closets. Most centrifugal air movers can be adjusted to provide airflow at a few different angles. Centrifugal blowers are heavy-duty air movers that produce lower CFM than axial air movers.
Here to Help!
SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch prides themselves on customer service. Here at SERVPRO we make ourselves available to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our office staff work hard day in and day out to help every customer who may call. They are well trained and up to date with everything there is to know about SERVPRO so that they might help to the best of their ability.
When it comes to our techs and men who work out in the field they carry respect for every customer they come in contact with. They are aware that everyone they help is in a stressful situation and try their best to alleviate any stress they can. Our men are kind and well trained here at SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch!
We Are Certified!
Our Franchise Owners
Have you ever had a bad or unpleasant experience with a company? We can assure you that will not be the case with SERVPRO of Chatsworth / Stevenson Ranch. In times of disaster and crisis, it is crucially important to choose a company who will not only get the job done, but look after the client as well.
The SERVPRO team is always ready to make any disaster "Like it never even happened." With specialized training, our technicians are well prepared to handle water damage, fire damage, mold remediation, bio-hazard cleanup and much more. Along with the expertise, here at SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch you can expect professionalism along with kindness and courtesy.
SERVPRO of Chatsworth / Stevenson Ranch is not only an IICRC-WRT certified firm but each of our crew chiefs are certified and ready to go 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Call us here at (818) 842-1400.
SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch Serves
Here at SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch we not only specialize in restoration and cleanup services, but we also love to participate and give back to our community.
Every fall, we partner up with the San Fernando Rescue Mission's Thanksgiving Dinner. Most recently, we collected over twenty-six hundred rolls for dinner. It's always a blessing knowing that these families will be well fed on a day of thanks and love.
Additionally, Jenn of our marketing team volunteers at the CAI-GLAC's outreach committee. Some of the projects she has contributed to include the Spark of Love Toy Drive, Tree People - environment cleanup, SCV Single Mothers Outreach and much more. Knowing that our team members have a heart and passion for the community only further solidify the integrity of SERVPRO of Chatsworth/Stevenson Ranch.
Prevent Water Damages
Living Room Flooded
Water Damage is something no homeowner wants to deal with. It often comes unexpectedly and without warning. Water damage can cause structural damage and if not treated quickly can eventually result in mold. But good news! There are some easy tips to avoid water damage in your home.
- Make sure your home has good drainage, clean the rain gutters often and make sure they are clear. If you live on a hill, slope your yard away from the home so that it will direct water away from the home.
- If you already have leaks, make sure they are fixed immediately. Check for dark spots under pipes or on the ceiling.
- Maintain your roof, if there are missing shingles replace them immediately.
SERVPRO of Chatsworth / Stevenson Ranch is faster to any size disaster!
Call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 818-842-1400